English (Avocado pear); Kamba (Ikoloviu); Kikuyu (Mukorobea, Maguna ngui (fruit)); Luhya (Makotulofia); Luo (Avokado).
|Distribution of Persea americana in Kenya|
|© Maundu P. and Bo Tengnas. (2005). Useful trees and shrubs for Kenya, World Agroforestry Centre.|
General Information about the Tree:
|© Bo Tengna|
Healthy avocado fruits on a tree.
|© A.A. Seif, icipe|
Propagation and Tree Management
In the management, grafting is advisable in order to get best fruit varieties.
- Timber; mature trees may be cut for timber production
- Food; its fruits are edible and may be used in making of juice, salad and desserts.
- Apiculture; a good source of bee forage.
- Oil; used in the manufacture of cosmetics and soaps. Its oil may be used in lighting too.
- Shade; it produces good shade.