Root-know nematode (Meloidogyne incognita, M. javanica)
Root-knot nematode galls on tomato roots. Root-knot nematodes (Meloidogyne incognita / M. javanica) affected plants are normally stunted and eventually wilt and die. The most characteristic symptom is formation of root galls (knots) and these can be seen with the naked eye. Affected roots rot.
- Practise a 2-3 year crop rotation with cereals, maize or grasses.
- Direct surface irrigation water from new to old bean fields.
- Maintain fields weed-free.
- Uproot and destroy entire plants after harvest.
- Amend soil with neem cake or green manure of marigold or sunnhemp.
- Maintain high levels of organic matter in the soil.