Is this a Minor Pest?
Minor Pest Title
Early blight (Alternaria solani)
Minor Pest Description
Leaf spots of early blight are circular, up to 12 mm in diameter, brown, and often show a circular pattern, which distinguishes this disease from other leaf spots on tomato.
Minor Pest What to do.
- Use resistant varieties (e.g. "Rio Grande").
- Use certified disease-free seeds. If using own seeds, hot water treat the seeds. For more information on hot water treatment click here.
- Use disease-free plants.
- Do not plant plant consecutively tomato crops on the same land.
- Practise rotation with non-solanaceous crops (e.g. brassicas, legumes, small grains).
- Stake and prune indeterminate varieties.
- If disease is endemic, applied preventative sprays of copper compounds (e.g. copper hydroxide).
Minor Pest Position
Minor Pest Firstcontent
Common names; Early blight, Alternaria blight, dry blight, leaf spots, seedling blight, damping-off, collar rot, hard-rot of fruits
PH Pests Media Gallery